Chapter 8 – The Turn of The Century

The last thirty-odd years of the history of the St. Andrew’s Society belong to the New South which gradually emerged out of the troublous period of Reconstruction.  Because the men of that “tragic era” wrought faithfully and well, the burdens of their sons and grandsons have been lighter.  These sons and grandsons, less absorbed in those problems which troubled their fathers, have been more free to cultivate social and cultural interests. No one would attempt to fix precisely the date at which their burdens became perceptibly lighter and , in consequence, the New South began; the hour of its beginning varies with place and circumstance. But as far as the St. Andrew’s Society is concerned, a turn in its fortunes during the last decade of the nineteenth century definitely marks the arrival of this new day.

The revival of the nineties began with the administration of President Alexander W. Marshall.  This gentleman was the last of the line of presidents beginning with Mr. Robert Mure whose youth belonged to the ante-bellum South. Mr Marshall was born in Charleston in the year 1845.  He left the Sophomore class of the College of Charleston in 1864 to enlist in the Confederate Army.  After serving on the coast of South Carolina, he joined the army of General Joseph E. Johnston a short time before the surrender of April 26, 1865.  After the war he entered upon a successful business career as a member of the brokerage firm of R. M. Marshall & Bro.  He soon became prominently associated with a number of organizations in Charleston.  In 1881 he was elected captain of the Washington Light Infantry and subsequently was promoted major when that company was organized into a battalion.  As a Mason he attained the 32nd degree, was master of Landmark Lodge, and after a visit to Edinburgh in 1886 was made representative of the grand lodge of Scotland to the grand lodge of South Carolina. From 1897 to 1903 he was president of the St. George’s Society.1 In Mr. Marshall the St. Andrew’s Society found a zealous leader who was fully prepared to turn to advantage the favorable opportunities which the times presented.  His term of office began on April 18, 1893 when he was elected to succeed Mr. A. S. Johnston, and closed with his death on March 18, 1906.

During these thirteen years the membership of the Society rapidly increased.  On St. Andrew’s Day of 1893 twenty-four gentlemen were admitted.  This was more than a third of the number admitted during the preceding twenty-seven years.  The annual increase for the next six years was never less than twenty-three, and in the century year thirty-eight were received.  Four years later the Society passed a resolution limiting its membership to two hundred, and before the close of Mr. Marshall’s administration this limit was reached and a waiting list established.2 Since the adoption of its original rules he Society has steadily adhered to the policy of admitting “any Man of Honour and Integrity, of what Nation, Degree or Profession soever.” In spite of this, however, the members seen to have been predominantly Scottish until 1892, but after that date there is a noticeable increase in the number of non-Scottish names on the rolls.3 

The activities of the Society were steadily extended as the number of members increased.  If there were no other evidence to be had, one might find convincing proof of development, of expanding interests in the accounts of the anniversary celebrations of this period.  In 1893 the secretary noted in his minutes: “After adjournment the Society and their guests partook of the anniversary supper which was particularly enjoyable and looked upon by the members as the beginning of a new era in the history of the Society.”4 Two years later he made the following comment:  “…on a motion of the President a resolution was passed thanking the Woman’s Exchange and the Committee of Stewards for the highly successful entertainment which they had afforded.  A unique feature of the occasion was the unexpected arrival of two Highlanders who made the request that they be allowed to partake of the festivities.  This was gladly assented to and the discovery was made that two of the members, Messrs. W. D. Clarke and Jos. F. Walker, had donned the Highland costumes, and they proved themselves a valuable acquisition to the enjoyment of the evening.”5  In 1896 no less than 102 gentlemen “adjourned to the large hall where the anniversary dinner was served.”6 The following year the number increased to 120 and the celebration took place in “the handsome dining room of the Charleston Hotel.”7 In 1898 the feast was an even more elaborate one:

“Never had Findlater, with merry pipe, led a more successful charge than was that last night made by the gallant Scots upon the good things set before them at the Charleston Hotel.  It was ‘St. Andrew’s Day,’ and in the parlors of the Charleston St. Andrew’s Society assembled more than a hundred strong.  There were fragrant odors of ‘Haggis’ and other dishes dear to the palates of all true Scotchmen penetrating the corridors, and the members and guests were ready in their plaids and with appetites keen when the bagpipe sounded.  A line was quickly formed and, with President Marshall, wearing the handsome plaid sash and cross of St. Andrew, at the head, all marched into the banquet hall to celebrate in fitting style the one hundred and sixty-ninth anniversary of the St. Andrew’s Society of Charleston.  The banquet hall had been beautifully decorated for the occasion.  In the corners and in all the windows and niches were splendid palms and tropical plants.  Three long tables had been laid the entire length of the hall, and across the eastern end was a fourth table.  Cassava palms, in basket jar-dinieres, formed the centre pieces on the long tables, and the special decorations at the cross table were immense cut glass vases of mammoth chrysanthemums, chained with ropes of smilax.  At short intervals up and down the snowy damask were crystal vases of exquisite roses.  At each cover lay a dainty boutonniere and the menu and toast cards, caught with bows of the Royal Stewart Plaid, stood just in front of each plate.  The tables were flanked by the folds of ‘Old Glory,’ the St. Andrew’s Cross and the crimson flag of ‘Old England’.”

*    *    *    *    *

For more than two hours the clatter of knives and forks and the clink of glasses mingled with merry conversation, and then, rising in his seat, President Marshall called for silence, and said that it was now his pleasure to welcome members and guests.  He had received a number of invitations, also letters of regret, and one especially he must read to the assemblage.  It was from the ‘Grand Old Man of South Carolina,’ Wade Hampton.  Major Marshall’s remarks were greeted with a round of cheers.  The letter was read as follows:

 

Columbia, November 27, 1898. 

Major A. W. Marshall – Dear Sir:  It would give me pleasure to accept the flattering invitation extended to me by your old and historic body were it possible to do so, but owing to the illness of a member of my family I must reluctantly forego the great pleasure of joining you on the 30th instant.  Thanking you for your kind letter, and with my best wishes for the continued prosperity of your time-honored society. 

Wade Hampton.  

*     *     *     *     * 

In offering the toast, ‘Our Country,’ Mr. J. P. K. Bryan presented the regrets of Read Admiral Irwin, who had expected to respond, but had been called to  Washington.  Mr. Bryan spoke of the army and navy as symbolizing best ‘Our Country’ at this hour, and alluded to the Southern heroes in the war with Spain. Admiral Irwin represented the old navy, whose prowess had as an honored guest, Lieut. Victor Blue, as a representative of the new navy, who ranked with Hobson in the list of Southern heroes in this country’s latest achievements.

Lieut. Blue was greeted with tremendous applause when he rose in his seat.  He gracefully thanked the Society for the honor done him and modestly protested against being called a hero…”8

The Society adopted the practice of inviting to these anniversary celebrations prominent orators from other parts of the country.  Among the first of these were Col. George Harvey, editor of Harper’s Weekly, who on St. Andrew’s day of 1904 responded to the toast, “A Scotch Yankee in Our Midst,” in such a manner that at their next meeting the members unanimously thanked him for his “masterly and eloquent oration,” and sent him a “set of antlers.”  Col. Harvey on his part sent the Society “three hundred copies of his oration in pamphlet form containing pictures of himself and of the officers of the Society.”  He also devoted a “whole page of Harper’s Weekly of Dec. 31, 1904 to the St. Andrew’s Society.”9 At the last annual dinner of President Marshall’s administration the principal speaker was the Hon. Alfred P. Thom, general counsel of the Southern Railway.”10

The meetings were not confined to the occasions prescribed in the rules.  On June 30, 1897 “the president announced that in response to his call a goodly number of the members had assembled at the South Carolina Hall at noon on June 22nd and had thereupon toasted the health of Her Majesty Victoria, Queen of Great Britain and Ireland and Empress of India, upon the celebration of her Diamond Jubilee, and that they had also sung the National Anthem, ‘God Save the Queen.’  He further announced that the following cablegram had been forwarded the same day in conjunction with the St. George’s Society:

Charleston, S. C. 

June 22, 1897. 

Her Majesty Queen Victoria 

    London 

Mindful of your sympathy when earthquake visited Charleston, St. Andrew and St. George Societies send heartfelt greeting. 

Alex. W. Marshall, 

President11 

 

Less than four years later the Society mourned the death of Victoria.  The following resolutions of sympathy were adopted:

“The St. Andrew’s Society of Charleston, South Carolina, founded A. D. 1729, the oldest St. Andrew’s Society in America, resolves that the following estimate of Victoria, late Queen of Great Britain and Ireland and Empress of India, be inscribed upon its minute book, and that a copy thereof, suitably engrossed and certified, be transmitted, through the proper channels, to his majesty King Edward VII.

The death of Queen Victoria has touched the heart of the civilized world, and all the nations of the earth and sorrowing together.  In this hour of international bereavement, the St. Andrew’s Society claims its privilege to mourn the loss of the great and gracious lady whom, in life, it delighted to honor.

To us, as men, her womanly virtues shine brighter than the jewels which sparkled in her crown, and we esteem the example of her private life as a new dignity bestowed upon mankind of higher value than any other conferred upon her subjects.

As Scotchmen, and descendants of Scotchmen, we retrace her regal course, in all its phases, from its early dawn through its splendid meridian to its golden setting, and we rejoice with our kindred across the sea in the long and glorious reign, whose beauty and beneficence the world will always call ‘Victorian.’

As Americans, proud of our self possession and our self control, we find no embarrassment in confessing that the English Queen has swayed her scepter in our hearts and homes.

The Queen is dead!  Long live the King!  As we have never forgotten, from year to year, to pledge the health of the Queen, so shall we remember the King. And the King will have, as it were, an aureole about his head, and that aureole will be the memory of his Royal Mother.”12

On February 2, 1901, the day of the Queen’s funeral, a memorial service was held in St. Michael’s Church at the request of the St. Andrew’s and the St. George’s Societies.13 

The rapid increase in membership and the growing importance of the celebrations were not the only indications of greater activity.  While the members gave thought to the present and future welfare of the Society, they were not unmindful of its past.  The greater number of the relics of this past had been destroyed, but some they still had.  They now made better provision for the preservation of these, and then turned their attention to replacing the losses as far as they could.  In 1893 the stewards saw that the Secession table and chairs were repaired and suitably marked.14 The roster containing the original rules and the signatures of the members was “enlarged and rebound.”15 To protect this and the other records a safe and a cabinet were purchased.16 The Society was fortunate in the matter of securing portraits.  In 1895 Mr. Walter Williman presented one of Dr. Alexander Baron.17 With the permission of the South Carolina Society this was hung beside the two Tidyman pictures.  Shortly afterwards Mr. John Stolle copied for the Society portraits of General William Moultrie and General Thomas Sumter, both by Charles William Moultrie and General Thomas Sumter, both by Charlest Wilson Peale.18  Mr. J. N. Wigfall presented in 1898 a portrait of General Charles Cotesworth Pinckney which is thought to be the work of Rembrandt Peale.19  As his administration was drawing to a close (1905) President Marshall was able to announce that a portrait of Mr. Mitchell King (also attributed to Rembrandt Peale) had been given by the King family.20  But portraits were not the only treasurers that were acquired in this period.  A “flag of St. Andrew” was donated by Vice-President F. G. Latham.21  Lieut. Victor Blue gave a “bronze statuette taken from the Spanish Cruiser Viscaya”22  and Mr. J. F. Lochrey added, as mementoes of the Spanish-American War, “a Cuban machete and Officer’s Cut and Thrust Sword.”23 Mayor William A. Courtenay was a frequent contributor of rare books and engravings.  In 1899 he gave “an exceedingly handsome folio volume of illustrated selections from the works of Robert Burns and Sir Walter Scott, the same being richly bound in the tartans of the Stuart and Graeme;24 in 1904 A Chronicle of the 100th Anniversary of Robert Burns and The Burns Centennial Poems;25  and in 1905 engravings of Mary Queen of Scots and Bonnie Prince Charlie.26  These “relics” along with others of lesser importance became the pride of the Society.  But they were not reserved entirely for the pleasure of the members.  The Secession relics were used by the Confederate Veterans at their reunion in 1899.27 Certain of the portraits were loaned from time to time to art exhibits; in 1902 to the South Carolina, Inter-State, and West-Indian Exposition,29 in 1905 (on the occasion of the opening of the Gibbes Art Gallery) to the Carolina Art Association,30 and in 1907 to the Jamestown Exposition.  Since 1923 the Kemble and Tidyman portraits have been on loan to the Carolina Art Association.31

The “stock” of the Society did not increase during these years as rapidly as one might expect.  The membership fees were not as large as they had been formerly, and expenses were heavy.  But there was a steady growth.  In 1893 the funds amounted to $13,200.32  By 1900 this had increased to slightly more than $15,000, and the committee on charity was moved to add the following comment to their report: “Almost at the dawn of a new century your committee, stepping beyond the ordinary bounds, congratulates the Society on its wonderful prosperity; and when another such cycle of time rolls around, our very names known only as being inscribed on its long scroll of membership, may this Society be strong and vigorous, maintaining its present honorable position, the purpose for which it was founded one hundred and seventy-one years ago, the relief of the widow and the orphan, being still its one paramount aim.”33 Five years later another $1,000 had been added to the “stock.”  The annual appropriations for the regular pensioners during President Marshall’s administration averaged between $500 and $600.34 In addition the Society established an emergency charity fund for the relief of indigent persons in general.  This was used principally to aid strangers in the city who found themselves in distress.35 In 1900 a contribution of $50 was made for the relief of sufferers in Galveston, Texas.36

The Society was not unaware of the part which its president had played in this marked revival of its activities. On April 1, 1901, he was presented with a silver service “in grateful appreciation of his untiring efforts in behalf of the Society.”  Shortly after his death five years later the members endorsed the following estimate of his services:

“During all the twenty years preceding 1886 when Major Marshall and eight others – only two of whom are with us now – became connected with this Society there had been but eighteen new members elected.  In 1890, the year preceding his accession to the first vice-presidency, it was desired to revise the by laws, and many months went by without the quorum necessary to make the change.  In 1893 Maj. Marshall succeeded to the presidency, and in that year thirty-one new members were elected; the monthly meetings became larger than had been the anniversary attendance for many years before, and he lived to see the fruit of his untiring exertions in the recognized necessity of limiting the membership to two hundred lest the organization should overgrow its capacity.  Proportionally to this great increase in numbers has been the steady growth of the Society in influence, in dignity, and in material prosperity.  And the stimulus to all this healthful and luxuriant fruitage has been ‘the touch of a vanished hand and the sound of a voice that is still’…”37

Since 1906 there have been seven presidents of the St. Andrew’s Society:  Mr. J. Bachman Chisolm (1906-1909), Mr. W. C. Miller (1909-1912), Mr. George H. Moffett (1912-1918), Mr. Alexander Marshall (1918-1919), Mr. M. Rutledge Rivers (1919-1925), Colonel Oliver J. Bond (1925-1927), and Mr. I’on L. Rhett (1927-1928).  For the first time in its history the Society re-elected a president who had previously retired from office when in 1928 Mr. Rivers, the present incumbent, was chosen for a second term.  The first two were born in the decade before the War of Secession.  Mr. Chisolm was a lawyer.  He contributed to his profession not only through a successful practice but also by the preparation, together with Mr. Simeon Hyde, of a digest of the laws of South Carolina.  It was chiefly through his efforts that the Miners and Merchants Bank of Charleston was established.38 Mr. Miller was for many years the senior member of the law firm of Miller, Huger, Wilbur & Miller.  He served for a time on the State Board of Law Examiners.  Deeply interested in the organizations of Charleston he acted at one time or another as vice-president of the Huguenot Society, treasurer of the Carolina Art Association, and trustee of the Charleston Library Society.39 The last five of these gentlemen are active members of the Society at the present time.  Mr. Moffett is also a lawyer.  In public life he has served as a member of the State Legislature, corporation counsel of Charleston, and chairman of the city board of school  commissioners.40 Mr. Marshall is the son of the Society’s former president, Mr. Alexander W. Marshall.  Like his father he has been associated with the brokerage firm of Marshall & Bro.  He is a member of the board of directors of the Young Men’s Christian Association and a trustee of the Charleston Library Society and the Ross Memorial Museum.  He has been recently elected a member of the board of directors of the College of Charleston.41 Mr. Rivers is a member of the law firm of Hagood, Rivers & Young.  He was for several years city corporation counsel.  He has been long identified with the movement to improve the educational system of Charleston and South Carolina, serving as a trustee of the Medical College and the College of Charleston and as a member of the city board of school commissioners and of the state board of education.  As president of the board of trustees of the College of Charleston in recent years he has been responsible for a marked extension of its usefulness.42 Colonel Bond has been since 1908 the president of the South Carolina Military College.  Under his leadership that institution has greatly increased its facilities and raised its standard.43 Mr Rhett is a member of the real estate and insurance company of Legare & Rhett.  He has been an alderman of the city for many years.44

Under these presidents the activities of the Society have not been permitted to diminish.  The anniversary celebration has continued to be an important event in the social life of the city.  The principal address on this occasion has been not infrequently the means of bringing some noteworthy question before the public.  In 1906 the Hon. Charleston Emory Smith, editor of the Philadelphia Press, spoke on the political situation in the United States.45 A similar theme was the subject of an address in 1911 by Mr. Eugene N. Foss, he governor of Massachusetts.46 In 1926 Dr. Josiah Morse, professor of psychology in the University of South Carolina, pointed out the value of education to a democracy.47

Many additions to the “relics” of the Society have been made in recent years.  Mr. Stolle, the artist, was engaged to paint a portrait of President A. W. Marshall.48  In 1918 Miss Jean A. Robinson painted and presented to the Society a portrait of Dr. Robert Wilson who had served as its chaplain since 1893.49  Three years later Mrs. James Allan gave a portrait of President Allan by the same artist, and in 1929 Miss Margaret Robertson presented a portrait of her father, President James Robertson.50  The members have showed their interest by presenting many other objects of interest.  Among these are a bust of Robert Burns presented by Dr. C. B. Colson,51 and a silver effigy of St. Andrew and his cross given by Mr. Moffett.52Relatives of two former presidents, Mr. King and Mr. Mure, presented the jewels which each once wore as a badge of his office.53 

The funds have gradually increased through the regular sources of revenue and a bequest in 1924 of $500 from Mr. George W. Williams.54 The demands of “reduced members and their families” have not been great, and the Society has been able from time to time to apply its relief to other objects.  The most notable instance of this was the establishment in 1919 of a scholarship in Flora McDonald College, Ridge Springs, N. C.   Of the $1,000 which as given for this purpose $700 was appropriated by the Society, the balance being contributed by “three members.”  This is known as the St. Andrew’s Society of Charleston Scholarship.55

During the World War the activities of the Society were turned out of their regular course, but there was no interruption.  As early as 1914 the members responded to an appeal for a contribution to the Prince of Wales’ National Relief Fund, which had been established “to alleviate the acute distress of families, widows and orphans in Great Britian and Ireland,” by dispensing with their annual banquet and donating the sum ($600) which would ordinarily have been devoted to that purpose.56   The entrance of the United States into the war was followed by other sacrifices.  Again in 1917 and 1918 there were no banquets.  On May 31, 1917, the treasurer was authorized “to invest a sum of $500 in Liberty Bonds…to show the Society’s patriotism to the Government of the United States.”57 A similar investment was made in May 1918.58  Liberal donations were made to the Red Cross Fund.59  Members of the Society served the Government in various capacities.  Before the close of hostilities the following twenty entered the army or navy: Simeon Hyde, Jr., James Allan, Ernest L. Visanska, Albert Simons, A. Hardy Silcox, Edward L. Wells, Robert S. Manigault, F. Marion Whaley, E. McC. Ramsey, Dr. Edward H. Sparkman, W. D. Guthrie, J. Schapter Caldwell, Paul L. Bissell, T. Grange Waring, Edward F. Mayberry, Austin I. Hodges, F. P. Guthrie, Alfred Huger, Eddy Starr, and C. Deas Gadsden.60  One of these Lieut. Edward L. Wells, after rendering gallant service was killed in France.61

On St. Andrew’s Day of 1924 the Society mourned the loss of its chaplain, Dr. Robert Wilson.  The service in St. Andrew’s Parish Church, which had been arranged to commemorate the 195th anniversary, was given over in large part to paying tribute to his memory.  “He was pre-eminently the scholar of the St. Andrew’s Society,” said one of the speakers, “delighting in historical and genealogical research.  In these realms his authority was unquestioned, and the records of the Society have been enriched by his contributions.”  Dr. Wilson had joined the Society in 1892, had contributed to the rivival of the ‘nineties, and had been one of its mainstays every since.62

Three years ago preparations were begun for the bi-centennial celebration of the establishment of the St. Andrew’s Society.  On February 1, 1926, the members agreed to increase their annual contributions to defray the expenses of this occasion.63  Two years later a committee of ten was appointed to take charge of the arrangements.64  And on last St. Andrew’s Day, in recognition of his deep interest in the Society and his previous success as its chief officer, Mr. Rivers was elected President with the heavy responsibility of carrying out these arrangements.65  I am quite sure that the members of the Society would wish it to be said in these last lines that whatever of success this celebration may have will be due, in large measure, to his effort.

VIII. THE TURN OF THE CENTURY

  1. 1.               Minute Book No. 5,pp. 88-89; The News and Courier(Charleston, S. C.), March 19, 1906; for further information concerning Mr. Marshall’s career I am indebted to his grandson, Mr. J. H. Marsahll. 
  2. 2.               Minute Book No.5,p. 88. 
  3. 3.               This is apparent from a study of the names on theRoster of Members. 
  4. 4.               Minute Book No.4, p. 202. 
  5. 5.               Ibid., p. 251. 
  6. 6.               Ibid., pp. 279-280. 
  7. 7.               Ibid., pp. 319-320. 
  8. 8.                From a newspaper clipping pasted in Minute Book No. 4, pp. 355-357. 
  9. 9.               Minute Book No.5,pp. 45-47, 49-50, 55.  The Society has a copy of the pamphlet referred to.  The page inHarpers Weekly  was a picture of the officers of the Society. 
  10. 10.            Newspaper clippings in Minute Book No.5, pp,. 75-76. 
  11. 11.            Minute Book No.5,pp. 302-303. 
  12. 12.            Minute Book No.4, p. 435. 
  13. 13.            Ibid., pp. 435-436.  This contains newspaper clippings and a copy of the programme of the service in St. Michael’s Church. 
  14. 14.            Ibid., pp. 191, 193-194, 201. 
  15. 15.            Ibid.,pp. 205, 207, 233. 
  16. 16.            Ibid., pp. 205-216. 
  17. 17.            Ibid., p. 234; see notes to the illustrations. 
  18. 18.            Ibid.,on Moultrie portrait pp. 234, 236, 238, 240-241, 243-246; on Sumter portrait pp. 350, 358, 366; see also notes to the illustrations an Minute Book No. 6, pp. 66-67. 
  19. 19.            Minute Book No. 4,pp. 346-349. 
  20. 20.            Minute Book No.5,  pp. 43, 45, 52; see notes to the illustrations. 
  21. 21.            Minute Book No.4,pp. 267-268, 270, 466. 
  22. 22.            Ibid., pp. 361, 363-364. 
  23. 23.            Ibid., p. 369. 
  24. 24.            Ibid.,pp. 388-390, 394-395. 
  25. 25.            Minute Book No. 5,  p. 19. 
  26. 26.            Ibid., p. 64. 
  27. 27.            Minute Book No.4,pp. 371, 376. 
  28. 28.            Ibid., pp. 494, 499. 
  29. 29.            Minute Book No. 5,p. 58. 
  30. 30.            Ibid.,p. 125. 
  31. 31.            Minute Book No. 6, p. 91. 
  32. 32.            Minute Book No. 4, p. 200. 
  33. 33.  Ibid. , p. 430. 
  34. 34.  An estimate based on the reports of the committee on charity which form a regular part of the minutes. 
  35. 35.  This item is a part of the reports of the committee on charity. 
  36. 36.  Minute Book No. 4, p. 417. 
  37. 37.  Minute Book No. 5, pp. 88-89. 
  38. 38.  The News and Courier(Charleston, S. C.), July 15, 1915. 
  39. 39.  Minute Book No. 6, p. 196 and Crawford, G. H. (ed.), Who’s Who in South Carolina, pp. 118-119. 
  40. 40.  Crawford, G. H. (ed.), op. cit., p. 121.  
  41. 41.  Information furnished by his son, Mr. J. H. Marshall. 
  42. 42.  Crawford, G. H., (ed.), op. cit., p. 161. 
  43. 43.  Ibid ., p. 19. 
  44. 44.  Information drawn from personal knowledge. 
  45. 45.  Minute Book No. 5,pp. 106-110.  This contains newspaper clippings. 
  46. 46.  Ibid. , pp. 249-250.  This contains newspaper clippings. 
  47. 47.  Minute Book No. 6, pp. 183-184.  This contains newspaper clippings. 
  48. 48.  Minute Book No. 5,  pp. 89, 99, 239, 241; see notes to illustrations. 
  49. 49.  Ibid., pp. 467-469; see notes to illustrations. 
  50. 50.  Minute Book No. 6,  p. 250; see notes to illustrations. 
  51. 51.  Minute Book No. 5, p. 121. 
  52. 52.  Minute Book No. 6,p. 132; see notes to illustrations. 
  53. 53.  Minute Book No. 5, p. 234; No. 6, p. 167; see notes to illustrations. 
  54. 54.  Minute Book No. 6,  p. 109. 
  55. 55.  Minute Book No. 5,  pp. 476-479, 484, 490; No. 6, pp. 68-69, 72, 80; Catalogue of Flora McDonald College,1929. 
  56. 56.  Minute Book No. 5, pp. 340-344. 
  57. 57.  Ibid., p. 438. 
  58. 58.  Ibid., p. 461-463. 
  59. 59.  Ibid., p. 441; Minute Book No. 6, p. 14. 
  60. 60.  Minute Book No. 5, pp. 457-465. 
  61. 61.  Ibid., pp. 479, 482, 494. 
  62. 62.  Minute Book No. 6, pp. 133-139.  This contains newspaper clippings. 
  63. 63.  Ibid., p. 165. 
  64. 64.  Ibid., pp. 213, 215. 
  65. 65.  Ibid., p. 228. 

Officers 2010

2011 Tentative Meeting Dates

Jan 31 - Mon

Feb 28 - Mon

Mar 31 - Thurs

Apr 28 - Thurs

May 31 - Thrus

Jun 30 Thurs

Sep 29 - Thurs

Oct 27 - Thurs

Ladies Night

Nov 29 - Tues

(Pending Chas Place Contract)

Dec 29 - Thurs

2012 Tentative Meeting Dates

Jan 31 - Tues

Feb 28 - Tues

Mar 29 - Thurs

Apr 30 - Mon

May 31 - Thurs

Jun 28 - Thurs

Steak Cookout CYC?

Sep 29 - Thurs

Oct 30 - Tues

Nov 29 - Thurs

Noon business meeting and evening banquet pending Chas Place availability.

Dec 29 - Thurs